Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Am I really doing this?

I'm not a "blog person." But yet I've decided to create this blog as a way to communicate my ideas and hear yours. I say I'm not a "blog person" because I think face-to-face interaction will never lose its value in society. I believe so strongly in the power of dialogue and the importance of what can be learned from the simple presence of another human being.

But I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that we are privileged to live in a society that also benefits from technological advances that allow us the opportunity to have non-traditional dialogue. That is my hope for this blog.

I'll be explicit about the three things I'd like to talk about on this blog:
  1. I want to talk about leadership
  2. I want to talk about the human spirit and bold ideas
  3. I want to talk about what I've learned about mutuality through Multiple Sclerosis
These are the things that will make me want to look at this blog on a daily basis...and hopefully bring you back every once in a while to check it out. In that sense, it has a built in self-assessment. We'll see if it works.

7 comments:

MJ said...

Kevin,
Welcome to the blogosphere. I can't wait to read your blog. Please follow the Julie Chase / Matt Johnson model (weekly posts) for blogging, and not the Dave Stanfield model (yearly posts). You're the man. Hey, if you look at my blog, you might see "someone" you know on there.

Jim Rogers said...

brah...how exciting!

way to stay hip to the trends of today's youth. looking forward to engaging in some deliberate dialogues!

MJ said...

Kevin and Jim,
I must warn you though, trying to engage today's youth in deliberative dialogues is difficult because they are so preoccupied with their Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots, Ataris, and Simon Says consoles.

Unknown said...

So...when I first saw the title "Am I really doing this?" I thought you were questing the wedding. I was pretty much shocked that you would showcase any feelings of that sort on a blog! Don't tell Naylor... Now that I read the clearly defined objectives, I am on board and will be an active participant :) In my social change program we discuss blogging as a tactic for civic engagement. Raise it up for democracy!

Mike Toner said...

Good work Kev, I think you will be great at this. Social media is meant to be an extension of real human interactions, something you, no doubt, already have a passion for. Although the conversation happens to be online, there is nothing virtual about what you will be able to share here, good luck.

Tripp said...

Big K,

You're the man. From one "non-blogger" to another, I hope that this becomes a cool venue for you to think out loud about the things that are rolling through your head.

I caved in back in October

http://tripppurks.wordpress.com

Looking forward to being a part of the conversation.

Unknown said...

You are so a "blogger" type.

This is good!

Thanks for making everyone think weird thoughts about our engagement.