Monday, April 28, 2008

A Blog's Audience

The topic of blogging came up in a recent conversation with a good friend, Mike Toner. I brought up my constant intrigue with the role of blogging in the world. I conveyed to Toner that I am not 100% sold on the idea that social media serves an integral role in interconnecting people. My quest to better understand the world of social media has caused me to turn to the source, my blog, for some potential answers. It is my belief that one benefit of this outlet is connecting with people whom I may not otherwise connect (i.e., "communicat[ing] my ideas and hear[ing] yours" as I said in my first post). Here is my attempt.

My concern about social media rests within three main points.
  1. I strongly argue that understanding an audience is a key component of interconnecting people. Central to my leadership philosophy is the phrase, "Gauge people then Engage them." A main point of debate in my conversation with Toner was the conflicting views we have on the role of an audience in the world of social media. I posit that understanding an audience and actually having one are required before I attach the word "social" to anything. If there's no one reading this, or some folks that I do not have the opportunity to know (and they never comment), then nothing social is happening. What makes people want to read someone else's blog that they do not know? How can I get better at relationship-building without knowing and understanding my audience?
  2. Blogs lack creative controversy. One of the things that makes us learn as humans in a dynamic society is our ability to engage in meaningful dialogues with each other on a regular basis. If you disagree with this post, we have gained more than if you passively agree. Posts must cause the reader to invest in a thought, then in some capacity discuss it with someone else in order for anything "social" to happen. Does this happen more often than not with social media? That is my million dollar question.
  3. Blogs that serve as journals or resource libraries disrupt the level of person-to-person interaction that I deam invaluable. Am I now just arguing against the internet as a whole? No. But I think that as we move further towards purely online resource libraries (talk to any high school student now about resources they use to write a paper and I'm sure wikipedia is central to their arsenal) and communication outlets we move further away from our best primary source...an in-the-flesh person. Instead of rushing back online (another problem) to see if anyone responded to this post, shouldn't I just expect that someone will call me and talk about it?
What I value most about this venue for discussion is that I am still learning from it. It is currently giving me the opportunity to reflect, improve my self-awareness, and offer a contrasting opinion. This post is proof that I am thinking deeply about something that I wasn't thinking about months ago. I offer up my thoughts not as criticism against those who deeply believe in this, but to solicit their opinion towards the dissenting (and maybe converting) opinion.

5 comments:

Denny Roberts said...

Dear Kev - I can pose at least one other perspective on our point #3 above - aren't person-to-person interactions superior to blogging? Yes, they are in most ways. However, I've found by using my blog as a journal of my experience over the last 2+ years that my own thinking is refined and I benefit from the reactions of others to a more carefully phrased point. I started my blog when I taught in Luxembourg and it allowed me to post pictures, offer commentary, and communicate before the days of Vonage (I now call Diane daily as well as blog and e-mail, which I could not do two years ago). The blog was extremely helpful in staying connected to those I love and it helped me reflect on my experience.

Now that I live in Qatar, the blog has taken on a little different character. As you have seen, sometimes it becomes a little political and at other teams it is very touristy. Because of my position, I now exercise a little more care to make sure that I don't post something that can be misunderstood. I appreciate the opportunity to communicate with others when it would be impossible from 10,000 miles away. I have also gained some new colleagues who I've never met but with whom I share a common journey toward understanding.

I'm babbling but I wanted to offer some reaction to a new blogger (and good friend) who is searching for a response to "Why am I doing this?"

Best always,
Denny

MJ said...

Kev,
Good thoughts. Something to consider about your second point is that we are more likely to discuss matters that are important to us (e.g., finances, hopes, political views, values) with complete strangers or acquaintances than close friends or colleagues; there is a lot of emerging research on this. I think blogs may offer a venue to explore these topics with other people -- many of whom may be close friends and colleagues.

Some think that this is simply sidestepping face-to-face, authentic dialogue, while others see it as a way to open up these channels. I think it's a little bit of both, personally.

On another note, one thing that concerns me about blogs is the extremist nature they tend to promote. Look at the comments on any Reverend Wright YouTube video for example.

All of this just underscores the importance of authentic dialogue, which is something we obviously both believe in strongly.

Mike Toner said...

Big K,
Nicely done and thank you for the shout out.

The term audience represents the larger issue in blogging and within the social media medium. The question of who your "audience" is should be secondary to who is involved in your "community." I'd say right now we have Denny, MJ, myself and you engaged and thinking about this, collectively.

What I mean is, social media is about a community interaction, it is a multi- way conversation, not just top down, push out the message to an audience. Social media is about facilitating a conversation within YOUR community- which I'd say you are already doing a great job of.

Secondly, the idea that you can and will connect with folks you would not otherwise have face-to-face interactions is important for someone like Denny who is so far from his loved ones. But I think for you and I, we see each other, we have face to face interactions which ultimately sparked the continued conversation happening here.

Blogs allow the flow of dialogue to continue over space and time.

Check this blog out from Brian Solis on the topic of audience. http://tinyurl.com/yv4bpu

Kevin Gibson said...

Thank you guys for the time you took to respond. I think little by little I'm becoming more and more accustomed to the depth of information and relationships that can be examined via social media. I'm still hesitant because I don't want my own excitement and energy to be swept away from everyting else "social" and overly focused on social media, but I am more clearly understanding the personal benefit.

Denny Roberts said...

Dear Kevin - What's up, buddy? You've already given up on your blog? I'm anxious to hear about your progress in building the GWU leadership program. BTW - you should go to the upcoming National Association of Foreign Student Affairs conference in D.C. QF is serving as a major sponsor and we'll have a number of people there. I'd love for you to meet some of my colleagues - unfortunately, I'm not attending.

Best always,
Denny